Looking back, and forward

Over the last year of treatment there have been a number of false dawns; on several occasions I received a form of treatment and declared myself so much better, sometimes almost claiming to be back to normality.  This happened after the successful cardioversion, a few weeks after the first ablation and immediately after the second.  Each time it took a short while to realise that these were just an overreaction to a slight improvement or perhaps even self-delusion.  Confusingly, the first treatment step that did not leave me feeling instantly improved was the removal of Beta Blockers which was the one thing I expected to give a magical change.

The run-up to Xmas was tiring, in spite of me using saved holidays to reduce my last month at work to a number of two- and three-day weeks.  The two and a half weeks of rest over Xmas certainly helped.  I have been feeling greatly improved since January started (with the exception of New Year’s Day) and have not regressed.

This week was my first real test.  I had a busy day in the office followed by a trip to London, which involved parking at Luton and getting the train in, arriving at the hotel in the Barbican at 8:30 p.m.   After an 8:00 a.m. start in the morning, a long intense meeting finished at 4:00 p.m., after which I returned to Luton.  I then drove to Norfolk, stopping for food on the way and arriving at 8:00 p.m.  This was followed by another 8:00 a.m. start delivering a pilot environmental course to our teaching and support staff.  I had planned a 4:00 p.m. finish, but I was not sure exactly how long the exercises and discussion would take.  It finally finished at 5:10 p.m., leaving me to tidy up and drive the 120 mile back home.  None of this was any problem, but would have nearly killed me physically and mentally two months previously.

On the bike recently, I had noticed that the small inclines on the canal were not impacting on my HR as before and my rested pulse is also starting to trend downward.  Bad weather and too much work away from home has kept me from putting my health to the test with further exercise over the last two weeks, but this time, I think that I can finally say that I am on the road to a proper recovery.  The weather is still atrocious, but I will attempt to get out for a few walks and rides, not pushing yet, but working steadily towards improvement for the summer.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s